Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ryan Star, It's Been a Long Time Coming

I am not a musically knowledgeable person. It's not unusual for it to take months for me to realize a song I heard on the radio or in dance class is actually x song by x artist. A look through my sizable itunes library is more indicative of the tastes of my friends than of any of mine (with the exception of all the musicals of course). Do I really listen to all the punk music on my computer? No. That's leftover from my friend Emma's Against Me phase.

That all being said, I do have occasional artists I fixate on, the musicians who's songs I invariably end up humming constantly much to everyone else's dismay. Billy Joel was my obsession from my tween years (and younger). These days, its Ryan Star.

I came across Ryan Star back in 2006, when he was on the CBS reality show Rock Star: Supernova. Since then my friend Andrea and I have followed his career closely, anxiously waiting for his long delayed major label solo debut...and finally it will be released on August 3rd! Andrea and I will be going to the cd release party (the album is titled 11:59), and we are both SO excited to finally be both in the same place to go to one of his concerts (believe me, we've been trying to go for the last four years).

Curious? Check out his single that has recently made it into Vh1's TOP 20 video countdown, "Breathe," and a song off of his old acoustic album Songs From the Eye of the Elephant, "We Might Fall" (a personal favorite). As we get closer to the release date I will invariably post more!



No comments:

Post a Comment